Research CenterThe Research Center is a resource for students and parents alike! Lake Country students are great researchers, so we call our facility that functions as a library the Research Center to emphasize its place in the school. The Research Center offers:
- over nine thousand books, magazines, pamphlets, CDs, and DVDs, and offers students access to computers, laptops, and audio-visual programs and equipment.
- a lending library of Montessori and other parenting books for adults. Recommended reading lists on various topics are available.
- a story time for children 18 months to 3 years of age once a week.
- Northern Lights, the school’s literary magazine, each year Northern Lights is a showcase for the children’s artwork, essays, poetry and stories.
Listed below are just some of the resources we have available in the RC about Montessori and other general parenting issues. We also have multiple copies of some books if you are interested in a parent book club. Please come and visit the RC. We are happy to help you find a great resource.
Infant and Toddler Resources: Birth to Three
Understanding the Human Being: The Importance of the First Three Years by Silvana Monternaro
Montessori From the Start by Paula Lillard
Montessori Insights –for parents of young children by Aline D. Wolf
Toilet Awareness by Sarah Moudry
Edison’s Day by NAMTA (DVD)
Children’s House: Three to Six
The Secret of Childhood by Maria Montessori
The Absorbent Mind by Maria Montessori
Child in the Family by Maria Montessori
The Discovery of the Child by Maria Montessori
Education for Human Development by Maria Montessori
Montessori Today by Paula Lillard
Montessori A Modern Approach by Paula Lillard
Montessori Learning in the 21st Century by M. Shannon Helfrich
How To Raise An Amazing Child-The Montessori Way by Tim Seldin
A Moving Child Is a Learning Child – How the Body Teaches the Brain to Think by Gill Connell and Cheryl McCarthy
A Parent’s Guide to the Montessori Classroom by Aline D. Wolf
Child of the World-Montessori Global Education by Susan Mayclin Stephenson What is a Montessori Children’s House? NAMTA (DVD)
The Natural Child by Molly O’Shaughnessy (DVD)
The Child in Nature NAMTA (DVD)
At Home With Montessori NAMTA (DVD)
Maria Montessori: Her Life and Legacy Davidson Films (DVD)
Elementary: Six to Twelve
From Childhood to Adolescence by Maria Montessori
Education for Peace by Maria Montessori
The Advanced Montessori Method by Maria Montessori
Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius by Angeline Stoll Lillard
Good At Doing Things - Montessori Education and Higher Order Cognitive Functions (DVD)
From Childhood to Adolescence by Maria Montessori
Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher
Why Do They Act That Way? - A Survival Guide to the Adolescence Brain for You and Your Teen by David Walsh
Odd Girl Out – The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls by Rachel Simmons
Queen Bees and Wannabees-Helping Your Daughter Survive by Rosalind Wiseman
Masterminds and Wingmen: Helping Our Boys Cope With Schoolyard Power, Locker Room Tests, Girls and the New Rules of Boy World by Rosalind Simmons
Raising Cain – Protecting The Emotional Life of Boys by Michael Thompson
Fine Young Men by Michael Gurian
General Parent Resources
Best Friends, Worst Enemies: Understanding the Social Life of Children by Michael Thompson
Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian
The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places by Gary Paul Nabhan
How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and How To Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber
How Children Succeed-Grit Curiosity and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough
The Out of Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Integration by C.S. Kranowitz
Smart Parenting, Smarter Kids: The One Brain Book You Need to Help Your Child Grow Brighter, Healthier and Happier by David Walsh
Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children With Dozens of Kid Friendly Recipes by Ann Cooper & Lisa M. Holmes
Blessings of a Skinned Knee by Wendy Mogel
Blessings of a B Minus by Wendy Mogel
Myth of the Spoiled Child-Challenging the Conventional Wisdom About Children and Parenting by Alfie Kohn
The Survival Guide for Kids with LD* Learning Differences by Gary Fisher, Ph.D and Rhoda Cummings, Ed.D
Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention - A Book for Kids About ADHD by Kathleen G. Nadeau, Ph.D. and Ellen B. Dixon, Ph.D
The Survival Guide for with ADD or ADHD by John F. Taylor Ph.D
Eagle Eyes-A Child’s Guide To Paying Attention by Jeanne Gehret, M.A.
The Don’t Give Up Kid and Learning Differences by Jeanne Gehret, M.A.
Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key, Joey Pigza Loses Control, I Am Not Joey Pigza, What Would Joey Do? and The Key That Swallowed Joey Pigza by Jack Gantos
Do Bananas Chew Gum by Jamie Gilson Rules by Cynthia Lord
Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff
Learning Challenges Parent Resources
The Dyslexic Advantage-Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain by Brock L. Eide,M.D., M.A. and Fernette F. Eide, M.D.
Superparenting For ADD-An Innovative Approach To Raising Your Distracted Child by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D. and Peter S. Jensen, M.D.
ADHD & Me - What I Learned From Lighting Fires At the Dinner Table by Blake E. S. Taylor
Taking Charge of ADHD - The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents by Russell A. Barkley, PhD
Overcoming Dyslexia - A New and Complete Science-Based Program For Reading Problems At Any Level by Sally Shaywitz, M.D.
A New Understanding of ADHD in Children and Adults=Executive Function Impairments by Thomas E. Brown
Writings and Links about Lake Country School
- The Land School(reprinted from Edible Twin Cities, Winter 2005)
- Lake Country School is a Peace Site (LCS Courier, Fall 2003)
Concerning Montessori education
- A Montessori Dictionary (Annette Haines, January 2001, reprinted with permission)
- Montessori Quilt - written and performed by Paul Dosh, '88 LCS alumnus, poet, and professor, for the opening of the Montessori Training Center of Minnesota. To hear Paul perform Montessori Quilt, click here; to read the text of the poem, click here.
- MariaMontessori.com - a project from the Montessori Administrators Association (MAA) with a goal of providing accurate and relevant information about the Montessori method of education to parents around the world.
- Association Montessori Internationale(AMI) - founded in 1929 by Dr. Maria Montessori to maintain the integrity of her life's work, and to ensure that it would be perpetuated after her death.
- North American Montessori Teachers' Association(NAMTA) - a membership organization open to parents, teachers, and anyone else interested in Montessori education.
- Montessori Center of Minnesota(MCM) - in addition to providing Montessori teacher training, MCM frequently presents workshops of interest to parents as well as Montessori educators.
- Inside Montessori- a documentary film project that reimagines schools and learning through the lens of Montessori education. The guiding force behind the project is a team led by two LCS alumni parents, Vina Kay and Jan Selby.
Other Sites Pertaining to Education, Child Development, Parenting, and Learning Challenges
- Minnesota Association of Independent Schools (MAIS) - a non-profit organization of pre-primary, elementary, middle and secondary schools whose purpose is to support and connect independent schools in Minnesota.
- Independent Schools Association of the Central States(ISACS) - a membership organization of more than 230 independent schools from 13 states of the Midwest region. Lake Country School is fully accredited by ISACS.
- All Kinds of Minds- information regarding differences in learning.
- ParentFurther - information about parenting in a digital world.
- Children & Nature Network- encourages and supports people and organizations working nationally and internationally to reconnect children with nature
- Educators Guide to Learning Disabilities & ADHD
- Learn Dream Achieve Minnesota
- Children & Adults with Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Dyslexic Association-Upper Midwest Branch
Dr. Steve Hughes on Montessori and the Future of Education(3:30) - Steven J. Hughes, PhD, LP, ABPdN is a board-certified pediatric neuropsychologist who specializes in assessment and treatment planning for persons who have problems with attention, concentration, organization, planning, and related executive functions.
Trevor Eissler "Montessori Madness!"(5:44) - a short video that explains some of the ways in which Montessori education nurtures the child's inner drive to learn and develop.
Brain Power(6:50) - a MediaWise video in which Dr. David Walsh discusses children's and teens' brain development and the impact of experience on the "wiring' of their brains.
Other Montessori Schools
- Legacy of Dr. Josie R. Johnson Montessori School- serving children ages 16 months to 6 years in North Minneapolis, Bright Water was founded by former Lake Country teacher Ann Luce.
- Children's Workshop Montessori- an AMI Montessori school located in Plymouth, Minnesota.
- Great River School(GRS) - a Minnesota public charter Montessori school for junior high and high school students. Dr. Lawrence Schaefer, cofounder with Patricia Schaefer of Lake Country School, is the founder of Great River School. GRS is located in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Little Flowers Montessori- with locations in Plymouth and St. Louis Park, serving children 16 months - 6 years.
- Mayflower Early Childhood Center- serving children ages 3-6 in South Minneapolis.
- Oak Hill Montessori- located in Shoreview, Minnesota, with AMI programs from infancy through Junior High.
- St. Croix Montessori- located in Stillwater, Minnesota.
- Sunny Hollow Montessori- located in the Highland Village area of St. Paul, Minnesota.
- White Bear Montessori- located in White Bear Lake, Minnesota.